Thursday, October 18, 2007

Establishing trust and community

There I am: grade ten, sitting near the back of the English classroom, conscientious to a fault, but deathly afraid of participation. Don't call on me. Don't call on me. Please don't call on me. Yes, I know the answer, but I spent half my life stuttering, and maybe today will be the day I am suddenly in the fifth grade again. Yes, I know the answer, but what if my voice cracks? What if everybody laughs? What if Scott Obnoxious on the other side of the room rolls his eyes? What if... and the list goes on. I spent so much time worrying about being called on that I am sure I missed out on so much. My fear made it hard for me to really be present to my teacher, my peers, myself as a learner.

There I am again: grade eleven, called to the front of the classroom to read my poem, face burning, hands sweating. My poem was about the boy I thought I was in love with, the boy who broke my heart, fill-in-the-rest-of-the-cliche-here. Yes, it was a truly awful poem, but that's not the point. The point was that the thought of reading my poem to classmates I didn't trust destroyed my confidence, made me want to be absent that day, made me want to visit the nurse, the bathroom, the stairwell - anywhere.

Here I am, once more - present day: I never want my students to wish themselves out of my classroom.

So, what to do?

Here are ten thoughts (in no particular order) on establishing trust and community in a creative writing environment that I have successfully used:

1. Find out from students what is important to them in a classroom environment. I make my students create individual lists of "Essential Qualities for a Happy and Successful Creative Writing Classroom." Unique responses (because they ALL say coffee and donuts on Fridays :) are recorded and shared so that everyone knows what is important to everyone else. Some sample responses are as follows: no checking the clock when someone is reading, give non-verbal feedback to a reader (eye contact, nodding, etc.), offer constructive feedback (not just "I liked it," "I didn't get it" - be specific!), whatever is said in Room 215 stays in Room 215 and will not make its way to the cafeteria or the bus stop, be respectful of others' differences (find something to value in each classmate). Consistently enforce the ideals that are important to each individual class; encourage your students to do the same within their peer groups.

2. We spend the first full class period passing notes. They may fold the notes, make them into chinese footballs, toss them across the rows, hand deliver them, but they may not speak. Their writing must focus on the task of getting to know people as individuals, must go beyond, "Hey, what's up?". (Students who return after graduation frequently reference this activity as a favorite from high school.)

3. Every now and then, we spend a class period sharing meaningful conversation with one another. Everyone writes a thought-provoking, but accessible question, such as, "What is one simple thing you think people should do to better the world?", "Aside from a parent, what adult has helped to shape you into the person you are today?", "Name something that most people don't know about you." Responses are shared within the circle, but students are given the opportunity to "pass" if they are not comfortable offering their responses. Nine times out of then, everyone speaks. This activity promotes connection and breaks down barriers within the class.

4. Show your students that you are not above doing your own assignments. When I ask my students to write a poem, I write that poem, too. During a reading opportunity, I read my work, too. Ask for their suggestions on your writing; validate their offerings. If you are asking them to take risks, to share themselves, I think it is pretty critical that you are willing to do the same.

5. Create a relaxed, comfortable environment in which to share work. In my classroom, I made a carpeted corner full of artwork, stocked bookshelves, a couple eccentric knick knacks from my grandfather's basement, a stereo, two stools, and a guitar. Students are invited to add their own personal touches to the area: bring in photos, a book to donate, a cool poster, a quote, etc. Reading days are not JUST for our most current project. They may read a journal entry from last month, a poem written in study hall, a favorite poem by a published author, etc. They may also read each other's work. Every now and then, a shy student has a bold friend who will give voice to that shy student's work - empowering for both parties involved. They may read from their seats in the circle, or they may come to the center of the area and read from one of the stools, or they may stand. I don't establish requirements for this aspect in an effort to make everyone comfortable. We gather in that corner, and, I swear, magic happens. I don't have to call on anyone. Most everyone genuinely wants to read.

6. I do require that everyone come to the corner with his or her notebook and something to write with. As others are reading, everyone else is actively listening, jotting down notes, recording observations. This way, when a reader finishes, we have comments and feedback to share with him/her - not just sporadic applause or dead air.

7. Model sensitive behavior. Model sensitive behavior. Model sensitive behavior. Model sensitive behavior.

8. Evil Teacher Trick #32: For a cooperative assignment, allow students to create their own groups. (Naturally, they will gravitate to those with whom they are most comfortable.) Once groups are established, inform students that those are the only students in the class that they are NOT allowed to work with today - MIX IT UP, MOVE AROUND THE ROOM, TAKE A CHANCE!

9. Have students call on one another, as opposed to keeping that role all to yourself. Example: I call on Alex to read her response. After she does so, she gets to choose the next reader. She chooses Jim, who doesn't usually say much, but Jim reads today because Alex asked him to. OR, Jim passes, and chooses someone else, and that is okay, too. Frequently, vocal students will call on those students who are more reserved - and about whom everyone is curious. I think it makes both parties feel good about themselves: the vocal student is bringing someone else into the conversation; the reserved student knows that he/she is an important member of the class that others want to hear from.

10. Statistically, more people fear public speaking than death. Using this fact as a jumping off point, promote an open discourse about that sense of fear that frequently accompanies reading and participation. If we know why we are afraid, we can work to alleviate those fears through our actions.

That's all for now! :) Have you tried any similar approaches in your classroom? What are the concepts that you stress to your students? Let me know! If you try any of my suggestions, please keep me posted as to how it goes! Stay tuned for our next topic: ASSESSMENT.

1 comment:

Denée Tyler said...

Okay, I love the evil teacher trick where you mix up the groups. I am going to have to try that one out in my own classroom.