Thursday, November 1, 2007

Two Sample Assignments

At the end of each year, I give my students the opportunity to offer me feedback on their favorite class assignments and projects. Here are a two assignments that have frequently made their lists:

1. Poetry Survey - Before our semester of poetry, I have students ask thirty people their opinions on the subject (What is your opinion on poetry? Do you have any favorite poems or poets?). Students are encouraged to ask peers, family, teachers, cafeteria workers, janitors, administrators, coaches, strangers from the grocery store, bank clerks, and anyone else they wish to approach (within reason, of course - safety first, always first... :). Responses are gathered onto posters and posters are discussed and displayed in class. I like this activity for a couple reasons:
a) It usually shows that many individuals have a very limited or stereotypical perception of poetry - "Poetry has to rhyme," "Poetry is just for emo kids," "I only write poetry when I am in a bad mood," etc. **From this jumping off point, we get to spark a great conversation about why so many people shy away fromt this art form, why it is misunderstood, and, more significantly, why it is so unique and important.
b) Many of the surveys reference the same few poets: Shakespeare, Silverstein, Poe, and Frost. Every now and then, Emily Dickinson makes an appearance. Every once in a blue moon, Walt Whitman shows up. **From this jumping off point, I get to show students that there are SO MANY amazing poets out there that go beyond these few highly anthologized writers. We read everything from Lucille Clifton to Taylor Mali and everything in between.

2. Perspective Poetry - Using Wallace Stevens' "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird" as an example piece, I have students create their own "________ Ways of Looking at _________" poem. Past subjects have included the following: "Ten Ways of Seeing Red," "Seven Ways of Looking at a Piece of Paper," "Thirteen Ways of Looking at Hands," "Five Ways of Gazing Upon a Shadow," and "Five Ways of Looking at a Chalkboard." Students may choose to do one poem that uses "Thirteen Ways" or two poems that add up to thirteen ("Five Ways of Looking at X" and "Eight Ways of Looking at Y").

What are your tried and true assignments, the ones that students always remember?

More to come!

5 comments:

Dr. Bad Ass said...

Hi there. Found your blog through one of your colleagues who is on a listserv of English teachers. I love your poetry survey assignment! I've also had good success with a modeling assignment based on Pablo Neruda's "Ode to My Socks."

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your blog, even though I'm strictly teaching non-fiction writing to first-term freshmen at community college and to slightly older ones at a nearby university. (I'm Mary H's online friend.) I think I'll go look for the book that incldes material on diction and figurative language--that works for non-fiction also.

Thanks. If it's okay to keep reading, I'll be back.

Anonymous said...

Oops! should have run spell-check (big grin) - I DO know how to spell "includes"

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! Do you have students use this page? or is it strictly for your purposes?

Ms. Strout said...

A comment back to anonymous:

I do not have students use this page (at this point), but I have set up a creative writing blog for them. Actually, this is the subject of my next post, so stay tuned!

Thanks for your interest! ~Heather