Thursday, April 24, 2008

One Week to Go!

I can't believe the workshop is almost here! Here are some updates:

1. A representative from the Morris/Sussex County FSO (Family Support Organization) will be attending! This organization supports families whose children have emotional and behaviorial challenges. She is interested in potentially having me coordinate writing-related activities (an open mic, a workshop, a poetry slam, etc.)for the young people with whom she works. How cool! She also invited me and 5-10 of my students to a mural unveiling and open mic in honor of Children's Mental Health Day on May 8th. Needless to say, I am really excited about this opportunity! Also, curriculum directors from two other area schools will be in attendance.

2. I made a Costco run yesterday to pick up snacks and some other supplies for the day. I think I got all the essentials: Pop-Tarts, granola bars, fruit snacks, and, of course mini chocolate bars and Twizzlers. Beverages are being coordinated by our cafeteria supervisor (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and small water bottles). I picked up a 40-pack of Capri-Sun, too - just in case. I also bought mini legal pads and a few dozen pens to disperse among the goody bags.

3. Final head count: 77 students, 6 of whom are facilitating their own workshop; 6 adult presenters, 5 chaperones from other schools, and a partridge in a pear tree.

4. Today is t-shirt day. I was fortunate to receive a "friends and family" discount coupon for AC Moore, which will save me a whopping 30% off my entire regularly-priced purchase. (Their teacher discount only saves you 10%.) This is good news, in that it will help me stay within my budget. Yay, bargain shopping! I plan to get about 100 shirts, plus other items - like small thank you gifts for presenters and chaperones.

5. Monday, April 28th, is our after school Work in Progress Preparation-Palooza. I made a list of about 8 different work stations (T-Shirt Mania, Name that Tag, Goody Bag Central, etc.). Students may sign up under a station and get to work. I will get some food for them, we will put on some music, they will earn some volunteer hours, and everyone should have a pretty good time!

6. I created the program, complete with workshop descriptions and presenter bios; now, it just needs to be copied on colorful paper (Thanks, Mary. :). See #5.

7. Thanks to one of your suggestions, I am going to live blog the event. Two students volunteered to help out with that process. (I have the best students on the planet; I am sure of it.)

8. Workshop titles are as follows: Student to Student, The ART of Writing, Concrete Poetry, Journal Creation (students will get to make their own books), Songwriting 101, The Poetry of Relationship, and Organized Rambling.

9. I created two surveys - one for chaperones and one for students. Hopefully, the responses I receive will make planning future events a little easier.

10. I had a meeting with our Superintendent an April 18th to fill him in and invite him to attend. He seemed really pleased with my efforts and is looking forward to a great day on May 1.

(So am I. :)

No comments: